Passport Travel Grant
What is a Passport Travel Grant?
The Passport Travel Grant is a financial award of $2000 to be used to help fund a Maymester or summer study abroad experience. Capstone Scholars, and Honors College students who do not receive a Summer Study Abroad Fellowship as part of their financial aid package (and entered USC in fall 2005 and thereafter), are eligible to compete for this award. Carolina Scholars/Finalists, McNair Scholars/finalists & Lieber Scholars who enrolled in the fall 2009 semester and thereafter are also eligible to apply. The number of grants available varies from year to year
When can I apply for a Grant?
You must apply by the posted deadline, prior to the Maymester/summer you plan to study abroad. You can apply for the award multiple times, however you can only receive the award once. You cannot delay the award; it must be used for the Maymester/summer listed on your application.
Student Eligibility Requirements
This travel grant program is open to students entering USC in Fall 2005 and thereafter. In order to be considered for a Passport Travel Grant, an applicant must:
- Be a Capstone Scholar, Honors College student not already receiving a fellowship, or a Carolina/McNair/Lieber Scholar who enrolled in fall 2009 or thereafter.
- Be in the process of applying or have already applied to an approved Maymester/summer study abroad or Capstone Abroad program (proof of acceptance must be provided to the Study Abroad Office before funds are released)
- Be a full time, undergraduate USC student
- Be earning at least three credits for his/her study abroad experience
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Submit completed application materials to the Study Abroad Office by the posted deadline
Study Abroad Program Requirements
The USC study abroad website (www.studyabroad.sc.edu) lists a number of pre-approved study abroad programs. Students wishing to take part in a program or study in a country that does not appear on this list must contact the Study Abroad Office and speak with an advisor regarding program approval. Please note that students wishing to go on a program outside of USC's pre-approved options must submit a petition and have it approved by the Study Abroad Office. Students will have their petitions reviewed and either approved or denied in February for the summer term.
Both credit-bearing service learning and internship programs that include structured, on-site supervision also meet program requirements.
The following types of programs meet requirements for the purpose of applying for an Academic Travel Grant:
- USC Departmental Programs
- USC Sponsored Summer Programs
- Study abroad programs sponsored by another university or program provider
- Direct enrollment in a foreign institution
Independent study or independent research activities abroad do not meet the grant eligibility requirements.
You will receive notification of your award within a few weeks of the application deadline. The actual grant funds are disbursed at the start of Summer I or Summer II, depending on your program dates. In order to access the funds, you will need to go to VIP and apply the award to your student account.
If you are taking part in a USC program, the award will be applied toward your tuition costs. Any remainder will be issued to you in the form of an overage check. If you are taking part in a Non-USC program, an overage check will be issued to you after funds have been applied to any outstanding balance you may have on your account. Make sure that the Financial Aid Office has your correct address on file. Please note that you are responsible for covering any deposits or payments due before the disbursement of the grant.
Following is a checklist to help you maneuver through the grant application process. Please click on the links below to access the forms required for the Passport Travel Grant Application. If you intend to study abroad during Maymester or summer, you must submit a completed application by 5:00pm on November 15th. All forms must be typed, then printed, and submitted to the Study Abroad Office. Incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
Complete Passport Travel Grant Application will Include:
- Passport Travel Grant Application Form
- Academic Reference Form
- Copy of academic transcript*, which can be obtained on Self-Service Carolina under "Student Records" - "Academic Transcript."
*First semester freshman are not required to submit an unofficial copy of their transcript